If you think you need to travel to an exotic destination to hear the soothing sound of waves lapping against the shore or feel the sand between your toes, you may be surprised to learn that some of the most beautiful beaches are just minutes from our Bayfield real estate office.
From picturesque shorelines to dramatic sea caves to the stunningly clear water of Lake Superior, our area is home to some of Wisconsin’s best sandy stretches.
In this blog, we’ll share some of our favorite beaches in Bayfield and the surrounding areas so you can experience the beauty of these spots for yourself.
The Best Beaches in the Apostle Islands
Meyers Beach, Apostle Islands National Lakeshore
If you’re looking for the best place to watch the sunset in Wisconsin, consider adding Meyers Beach to the top of your list. Located in Cornucopia, this sandy beach is perfect for long walks, skipping stones, picnicking, relaxing in the sun, and listening to the rhythmic sound of the waves.
Stroll the extensive shoreline and keep an eye out for driftwood and Lake Superior sea glass. From the parking lot, you can access the Meyers Beach Sea Cave Trail. This scenic hike leads to several overlooks above the sea caves and offers many breathtaking vistas.
Meyers Beach also serves as a popular launch point for adventurers who want to kayak the Apostle Islands sea caves.
Big Bay Beach on Madeline Island
Hop on the ferry in Bayfield and soak in the views as you head to Madeline Island, the largest of the 22 Apostle Islands. Then, head 6 miles to the eastern side of Madeline Island where you’ll find Big Bay Town Park .
Along with camping and hiking, Big Bay Town Park is home to Big Bay Beach. With sparkling clear water and an expansive sandy shoreline, this spot is often featured on lists featuring “the best beaches in Wisconsin”.
Other Madeline Island activities at Big Bay Town Park include:
- Hiking the 1-mile boardwalk
- Nearby hiking at Big Bay State Park’s miles of wooded trails, some of which meander right along the shoreline (listen for the thunderous echoes of the waves hitting the sea caves on a windy day)
- Canoeing or kayaking Big Bay Lagoon
- Fishing, with a permit, in the lagoon
Little Sand Bay Recreational Area and Apostle Islands National Lakeshore
Along with a campground, playground, kayak launch point to the Apostle Islands, and public boat launch, Little Sand Bay features a lovely beach that draws many visitors every year. Enjoy a picnic, a refreshing dip, or the view of several of the Apostle Islands from this popular sandy spot.
Julian Bay on Stockton Island in the Apostle Islands
No list of the best beaches in Wisconsin would be complete without mentioning the magical Julian Bay. Located on Stockton Island’s eastern shoreline, this beach is more difficult to access since it requires a boat to get there. It is worth the effort, though, as it boasts some of the clearest, bluest water in Wisconsin.
Here, you can shuffle your bare feet along the sand and listen for the enchanting response of the famous “singing sands” of Julian Bay. This unique experience is a result of the specific shape of the sand granules on this beach.
Stroll the shoreline while looking out over the expansive view of Lake Superior or enjoy the surrounding pine forests, wildlife, and dunes. The incredible water clarity here draws many visitors looking to kayak or snorkel over the Noquebay Shipwreck, the remains of which rest in only 10 to 15 feet of water on the north end of the beach.
Other Notable Beaches in Bayfield and the Surrounding Areas
- Public Beaches in Bayfield —Our Bayfield real estate office is just steps away from two public beaches:Washington Avenue Beachnear the ferry docks andBroad Street Beach(Halvor Reiten Park) at the end of 2nd street. Both are perfect for watching the ferry as it comes and goes, soaking up some sun, or watching sailboats cruise past.
- Thompson’s West End Park —Located in the City of Washburn, Thompson’s West End Park is a perfect spot for families. With a sandy beach, playground, a public boat launch, and camping, this is a popular spot for locals and visitors alike. This lovely park also features an artesian well flowing with clean, cold, pure water.
As it is located in the slightly more sheltered waters of Chequamegon Bay, you may find the Lake Superior water temperature here is slightly warmer than other Lake Superior beaches.
- Bayview Beach —Friendly Valley Beach and Bayview Beach are located a few miles south of Bayfield, right off of Hwy 13. With shallow water along the shoreline, a gorgeous view of Madeline Island and Long Island, and plenty of space to spread out, Bayview Beach is a local favorite and a perfect spot for families to spend a day in the sun.
- Lake Superior Beaches on the Lake Superior Circle Tour —Many of the beaches mentioned here and others in our area are featured on the Lake Superior Circle Tour.
Want to Learn More About Bayfield Beaches and Our Lovely Area?
If you’ve ever wondered, “Where are the best beaches in Wisconsin?”, now you know some of them are right here in the beautiful Bayfield area.
Whether you want to take an invigorating swim in Lake Superior, watch eagles soaring overhead, comb the shoreline in search of Lake Superior agates, catch a breathtaking sunset, or simply immerse yourself in nature, you’ll find miles and miles of pristine shoreline to explore.
The unmatched beauty of Lake Superior is what draws so many of us to call Bayfield home. If you dream of owning property on or near Lake Superior, we invite you to reach out to our experienced team.
With a genuine commitment to our buyers and sellers and decades of combined experience in the real estate industry, we strive to be the best realtors in the larger Bayfield area. Our dedicated team is committed to working closely with each of our clients to help them buy their dream home or land. Stop by our office or contact us with any questions, to set up a customized property search, or to schedule a showing. We look forward to meeting you!